More than 60 family support groups exist in the Tamworth region providing services identified in the Tamworth Social Plan that provides the framework for a caring, creative, cooperative and supportive community.
Major support services such as the Tamworth Family Support Service, which operates refuges, and the Tamworth Family Relationship Centre, operated by Centacare, the Home and Community Care Services (HACC) and various government departmental agencies like Centrelink and dedicated hospital and health programs all provide a wide network of family support. This support ranges from transport assistance, mental health services, meals, day activities, counselling, training and community programs to specialist help and financial support.
There are carers groups providing for people with disabilities, families in need and for elders and seniors. Meals on Wheels operate a city service. A hydrotherapy pool is available at the Tamworth Base Hospital.
Other support services include:
- Aboriginal Hostel
- Anglican Counselling Service
- Cancer support and wellbeing groups
- Church and government agency family assistance groups
- Employment caseworkers for people needing affordable housing
- Gay and lesbian social groups
- Indigenous Coordination Centre
- Justice groups
- Lifeline counselling
- Men’s Shed
- Multiple birth and mothers’ groups
- Northern Settlement Services
- OMNI Older Men's Network
- Residents associations
- Tamworth Access Group
- Tamworth Local Domestic Violence Committee
- Yinarr Health and Wellbeing Corporation
- Youth Insearch